Our First Grade class is a big step for our former Kindergarteners. They will transition from a group-style setting to individual desks and more diligent studies. The first grade teacher focuses on attention skills, staying on task and works conscientiously to keep the coursework interesting, challenging and stimulating. Their eighth grade buddies help encourage good manners and reinforce the importance of friendship.
"I didn't realize the best was this good." A letter from a First Grade student's parent.
If you need to contact me, my email is: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you need to meet with me, I am available from 3:30 - 4:30.
First Grade Curriculum
The following are some highlights of the year.
-nouns/pronouns, adjectives, verbs/adverbs
*first word of sentences
* proper nouns
* “I” pronouns
* greeting, closing of letters
-punctuation: periods, exclamation marks, question marks
* in contractions
* singular possessives
- write using D’Nealian manuscript upper and lower case letters
- use writing forms:
* personal narrative
* journal writing
* friendly letter
- spelling: weekly lists of words based on phonograms; homophones
-addition and subtraction facts through 18
-use place value for counting and number patterns through 99- geometry:
*plane and solid shapes
-Telling Time: to the half hour and hour
* recognition of coins and their values
* counting of like coins and some mixed coins
* identifying equal and unequal parts
* halves, thirds, fourths
- Addition and subtraction of 2-digit numbers w/out regrouping
- Graphs, Charts, and Tables
-Rules and Laws -Communities - Culture -Map Skills -Our Country
- Character, Setting, Events
- Main Idea, Details, Plot, Cause and Effect - Genres - Vocabulary, - Comprehension